God created the great sea monsters
Then God said, “Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens.” God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:20-21, NASB
O Lord, how many are Your works! In wisdom You have made them all; The earth is full of Your possessions. There is the sea, great and broad, In which are swarms without number, Animals both small and great.
Psalm 104: 24-25, NASB
Anticipating the Day of Service and the opportunity to clean up the beach, the Creation Care Kids jumped ahead in the creation story to God's creating the creatures of the sea. As the Psalm points out, sea creature are part of God's possessions.
The class heard the book The Mess We Made by Michelle Lord and Julia Blackman. From it, they learned about the impact of pollution on the food chain. The biggest part of their discussion focused on how they can care for the ocean and the creatures in it. In their own words, they would do some of the following things to take care of the ocean.
- I would tell everyone don’t let your trash blow away and put it in our pocket until you get home to throw it away.
- I’d swim underwater with a special bag to get all the trash under water.
- I’d use a special grabber from a boat to grab all of the trash that floats by.
- I’d help get plastic off of the animals.
- I would pick up the trash on the beach.
They also made Earth Day crowns before joining their families in worship.
To hear The Mess We Made, you can watch this YouTube Video.